Wednesday 11 June 2008

Smut

My friend recently gave me some tunes for my iPod (the equivalent of the mix tape, anyone else old enough to remember those?). Hence I have discovered a new(ish) band who are excellent to knit to - She Wants Revenge - especially this. The perfect combination of relentless '80s beats, synthesisers and a monotone vocalist similar to a sex-pest Tom Smith from Editors (all ideal for a smooth moss stitch). The lyrics also have enough dark smuttiness to captivate the mind during the often tedious back-and-forth along the needles, and also to add a wry smile to the lips of any knitter who is aware that otherwise she appears rather demure. I particularly like "You taste like tearstains and 'Could've beens'/But our love, like a train wreck/Your hair balled up inside my fist/You tell me, 'Don’t get too attached like this, it’s just entertainment'...". Shiver...