Wednesday 30 July 2008

Girl power



This week I have been mostly been listening to this - a CD I made for one of my best friends when we were both about 17 and indulging in totally unsuitable crushes (hence the inclusion of George Michael's frankly quite disturbing 'Father Figure'). Actually 'indulging' is both the right and wrong word - I was going to change it for the more stressful-sounding 'embroiled', but then I think we both quite liked being pursued by very Wrong sorts.
Anyway, I digress. The CDs were intended to be an ironic take on those godawful 'Woman' CDs and included such hits as 'Respect' and 'I'm Every Woman', and the more idiosyncratic 'Chains' by Tina Arena. I suppose I am thinking of it now because three of my best pals came to visit over the weekend for my birthday, and it was just so great hanging out with girls who have stood by me through various dramas since maths lessons.

Forgive me for my introspective mood at the moment, a lady can't approach her quarter-century without thinking about scary things such as Where Is It All Going? and What Does It Mean? I will be buying a sports car next.

Speaking of age, how old do I sound making CDs for people as opposed to iTunes playlists. Never mind that the original versions of these CDs were on tape...