Tuesday 28 October 2008

Michele Roberts



This is the book I am reading at the moment. I'm down to the last 20 or so pages actually, and trying to eke it out. Roberts has probably handbagged Margaret Atwood down to second place in my favourite authors ever list. I just love the way she writes, particularly her descriptive passages: "The trees are turning bronze and rusty at their tips and the sun hangs low and heavy like a yellow plum". Very apposite for the time of year, as autumn clings on with its fingertips before the big, scary, middle-of-the-night blackness clamps down around 5 o'clock.

I am, admittedly, an ardent Virago-type reader (although have been trying to educate myself in manly, recent writing with some Philip Roth). But there is something so earnest and truthful about the way Roberts writes, that the strident '80s feminism doesn't feel too anachronistic, although it does bring you up short to realise that the struggles she saw were going on even 20 years ago.

On that note I am going to some sort of anarchic cross-stitch event this evening. Someone at work rather sweetly said 'Even nice girls are radical sometimes', which I think would be an excellent T-shirt slogan. And there are going to be cup cakes (thought: who has decided cup cakes are cool and trendy, is it some kind of ironic 50s revivalism? What next - macaroons?)